Happy Friday my healthy friends! If you’re like me and you don’t eat bread but still want a juicy burger and you’re tired of eating it with lettuce or just on top of a bed of steamed kale, well then these Sweet Potato “Buns” are just what you need!
I saw someone recently post about making Sweet Potato Sliders and I thought “Wow! that’s a great idea for burgers”.
Now, don’t get me wrong…these don’t taste anything like a burger bun and they are a bit messy and hard to hold like a burger, but it’s what it tastes like that really counts, right?!
The first time I made these the sweet potatoes were a bit thicker and pretty sturdy that I could actually pick up my burger and take a few bites before I decided to use a fork to finish it. This is super simple to make and it’s a healthy way to eat your burgers. Summer grillin’ season is just around the corner (or if you are like my husband and myself…we grill all year round), so grab some really round and fat sweet potatoes and burgers and try these.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut one large round sweet potato into round slices.
- Place each slice on baking sheet covered lightly with olive oil
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on how thick you cut your slices and how soft you want your potatoes.
- Meanwhile, grill your burgers (I also sauteed some mushrooms and onions)
- Place one slice of sweet potato on bottom of plate, top with burger and toppings (I added diced tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, & avocado)
- Add one slice of sweet potato to top of burger.
- Enjoy with a side of sauteed kale, a pickle, the extra baked sweet potato slices or whatever else you like to eat with your burgers 🙂
Super simple, yet a really yummy way to eat a burger that gives your body a healthy does of carbs, protein and fat.
Stay Healthy my Friends!
Carrie A Groff
– Healthy, Fit & Barefoot!
“Happiness is Barefoot on the Beach!”