Happy Friday my friends! I haven’t shared a recipe in a little while, mostly because I’ve been making the same things lately. Sometimes I need some recipe inspiration to come up with something new and interesting. I’m not very good at just creating my own recipes…every time I do that it turns out terrible lol I’m a recipe follower, but I like to tweak recipes to fit my diet and tastes.
I had some ground turkey in the fridge and was trying to think of something different to do with it other than spaghetti and chili 🙂
You know those nights when you just want to throw something together quick for dinner? Well, this is a great recipe to use for those nights. You could also make this ahead of time and store in the refrigerator before you bake it (which would be even quicker!).
- 1 pound organic ground turkey (or sometimes I love to use organic ground bison)
- optional: 1 small onion sliced (I do this if I have onion on hand and if I have time to chop it up, otherwise just skip it)
- 1 packet Simply Organic Mild Taco Seasoning (or you could mix together your own taco seasoning)
- 1 small can Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes, drained (or if you don’t have this you could use about 1/2 cup salsa)
- 1 small can Organic Corn (I only add this to give it some texture, personally I don’t really care for corn especially since it has very little nutritional value)
- optional: 2 TBSP Avocado Mayo with Harissa (I recently found this at my local grocery store and love it! The last time I made this meal it needed a bit more flavor so I added it this time and it’s super yummy!)
- 3-6 Low Carb Wraps (tortillas) – The number you use depends on how many layers you want and how big your wraps are. I have been using La Tortilla low carb wraps lately, but I normally prefer Ezekiel Tortilla’s which have sprouted grains in them instead of processed grains. If you use the Ezekiel one’s this recipe just won’t be as low in carbs. If you don’t care about carbs or using sprouted grains, then use whatever tortillas you prefer 🙂
- 6 oz Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Brown the turkey (with onions if you used them) and drain when cooked. Mix the taco seasoning with 1/2 cup warm water and add in the corn.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While the turkey mixture is simmering, put one layer of your tortillas on the bottom of a 8×8 or 9×9 glass baking dish.
- Add one layer of the turkey mixture, then add another layer of your tortillas, then one more layer of turkey mixture.
- Top with your shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with your favorite toppings; we love diced tomatoes, sliced avocado and sour cream (I love adding an extra boost of protein by using greek yogurt instead of sour cream), Sriracha (I like mine extra spicy!)
- Serve with a side salad or roasted broccoli (or whatever veggies you love)
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I don’t have calorie, carb, fat, protein or serving size information for you because there are so many variations to make this recipe. I always use a smaller plate and fill up my plate with mostly veggies first 🙂 (I have been discussing Serving Sizes and Portion Control in my 52 Healthy Habits group this week…if you haven’t joined – subscribe here and make this year your healthiest!
Stay Healthy my Friends!
Carrie A Groff