It’s Friday and I’m sharing a yummy quinoa muffin recipe that you can make this weekend and have a healthy and yummy breakfast/pre-workout/snack or lunch next week! These little muffins are simple to make and are super yummy!
I use my rice cooker to make the quinoa which makes it turn out so fluffy and it’s super simple since all I have to do is put the quinoa and water in it, put the lid on and turn it on.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 big handfuls fresh baby spinach (about 1 cup cooked) or 1 cup cooked chopped kale
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 oz crumbled feta
- pinch salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to directions on stove top or in rice cooker. Set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until softened. Add spinach in batches until completely wilted down.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, spinach, garlic powder, oregano, feta, turmeric, salt and pepper. Add egg to quinoa mixture and stir until all combined.
- Place unbleached muffin liners in muffin tin. Spoon quinoa mixture into muffin cups filling to top of muffin liner, then gently pat down.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from tin using a butter knife.
- Makes 6 muffins, depending on size of muffin tin. Can make these into bite size appetizers if you use a mini muffin tin.
I like to reheat a muffin in my toaster oven and eat with my homemade mocha latte as a mid morning snack. The caffeine from the latte and the
protein from the quinoa and egg would be good as a pre-workout snack too.
Stay Healthy my Friends!
Carrie A Groff
– Healthy, Fit & Barefoot!