We ended up spending all afternoon into early evening going to 3 different locations sampling different beers. At the final location we decided we were hungry and ordered some garlicky hot wings & garlicky french fries that came with a side of aioli.
My husband and I love garlic and I thought to myself…I can make this aioli healthier at home. Aioli traditionally is made with mayo. So on Monday I decided to try it out and it turned out quite yummy!
I made garlicky sweet potato fries instead of regular fries and used avocado and greek yogurt in place of mayo in the aioli recipe.
I also found out a good way to get my sweet potato fries a bit more crispy. Put a little EVOO on the pan then put the pan in the oven to get it nice and hot, just for a few minutes. Then layer the sweet potatoes in a single layer, without them touching. This was always my biggest mistake…I used to just put as many sweet potato fries on one pan lol. This time I ended up using 3 pans (2 big and 1 small) to fit all the fries. I always cut up my own sweet potatoes and put them in a ziploc baggie with EVOO and either cinnamon and nutmeg or garlic powder and salt and pepper. This time I had fresh garlic, so I decided to mince up the garlic and add that and mix it all up. OMG! They turned out so yummy! The apartment smelled like garlic but we didn’t mind lol
Now, for the Garlic Avocado Aioli Recipe:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 full fat greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 TBSP organic lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit with a knife and discard. Scoop out the avocado with a spoon and place in blender (dice up if you don’t have a Vita-mix) You could use a processor to I believe. I don’t have one so I used my Vita-mix.
- Add in the greek yogurt, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Blend until smooth. If it’s too thick you can add in some water.
- Serve chilled with your Garlicky Sweet Potato Fries
Enjoy! I’m also going to use this Garlic Avocado Aioli to dip raw red peppers in as well! Healthy snack!
Carrie A Groff
-Healthy, Fit & Barefoot!
“Happiness is Barefoot on the Beach”