Happy Friday! Protein powders have been around for years, and most people always associated them as being only for gym-goers and bodybuilders, but protein powders make a convenient and healthy way to get more protein into your daily diet. With the rise of more and more people consuming protein powders, more companies have started selling them. This is great because it gives us a wider variety to choose from, but you must beware of cheap ingredients, fillers and artificial flavors and sugars in most of them. Also, if you can’t handle dairy or whey protein, then you want to look for a plant-based protein powder. I usually prefer plant-based protein powders because they don’t give me that bloated feeling, and they are usually loaded with healthier ingredients. Although, there have been a few high-quality whey protein powders that I’ve found not to upset my stomach.
I love adding a scoop of protein powder into my post-workout smoothie, mixed into a cup of cottage cheese
(use a chocolate protein and it tastes like a yummy chocolate dessert pudding!), added into my protein snack balls, and into various other recipes. I’m always looking for new ways to use protein powder, but sometimes the simplest way is the best way. (working on some yummy peanut butter protein cookies for my Beat the Bulge Holiday Challenge)
Here are my top five protein powders (in no particular order) that I use and recommend:
- Bob’s Red Mill Protein – I did a review on these before and they are definitely one of my go-to protein powders to buy. They taste great with just water, especially the Chai flavor, which is convenient to take with you. I also love that they have an unflavored one so that you can use it recipes where you don’t want any added flavor.
- LivWell Raw Plant Protein – This stuff is so delicious and I love that it’s all raw ingredients, low carb (perfect for those low carb days) and minimal sugar. The raw cacao tastes just like chocolate milk when mixed with almond milk. This plant protein has no soy, dairy, or gluten and is certified organic. There are absolutely no artificial or synthetic ingredients which is what I’m always looking for. The flavoring is real vanilla bean or raw cacoa 🙂 I just recently received samples of this protein, and will definitely be buying some!
- AmazingGrass Protein Superfood – This is definitely one of my favs! It’s loaded with so many superfoods and the Chocolate Peanut butter taste can’t be beat! This has 20 g of plant-based protein plus 7 alkalizing greens and 2 servings of fruit & veggies! What more could you want from a protein? I did a review on this one previously (with a bonus workout!)
- Brightcore Nutrition Plant Protein Powder – I’ve done a review on Brightcore Nutrition’s TrueFood superfood powder, which I love! Then they came out with a Plant Protein Powder and I fell in love with that too! This one is all 100% organic ingredients with no soy, dairy, gluten or GMO’s.
- BeFit Whey Protein – This is one whey protein that doesn’t make me bloated and the double chocolate tastes so yummy! I reviewed this one previously too. This one is also GMO-free, sugar-free and gluten-free. BeFit Nutrition always has really good deals on their products too…Like 50% off and Free Shipping (going on right now)
What protein powder’s (if any) have you found that you love and what ways do you use it? Recipes? Smoothies? Protein pudding?
Stay Healthy my Friends!
Carrie A Groff
– Healthy, Fit & Barefoot!