I wrote about the importance of collagen….a few years ago….and it seems that it’s now really starting to get around on social media and blogs like it’s the new “Kale”.
Collagen has been studied for decades and there are numerous studies that show it’s amazing health benefits…so it’s not just some new fad.
- Collagen has been shown to support joint health and reduce the risk of joint deterioration in patients with osteoarthritis.
- Collagen can also drastically improve the condition of your skin including wrinkles, hydration and elasticity.
- Collagen can help prevent age-related bone loss.
- Collagen may help you with your weight loss efforts, since it’s full of protein, which helps keep you fuller for longer.
- Collagen supports healthy teeth and gums. In the early 1900’s, a famous dentist, Weston A Price, went around the world researching isolated tribes which hadn’t made contact with Western Culture yet. What he discovered is that they all had beautiful, straight smiles without the need for braces, teeth whitening or surgery. After researching the diets of these tribes he discovered that besides eating very little sugar, they were consuming plenty of bone broth which provided them the collagen they needed to build healthy smiles.
- Collagen can even help balance your hormones. Collagen naturally contains no tryptophan and only minimal amounts of other suppressive amino acids. Using collagen, especially when eating meat, helps to prevent these thyroid-suppressive effects while supporting healthy thyroid hormone production.
Your body produces its own collagen in abundance to make your skin, bones, hair, nails, muscles, and all your organs, but you wind up producing less and less as you get older. This is the cause of the signs of aging. Hydrolyzed collagen supplements actually help stimulate this collagen growth to healthy levels.
What exactly is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. A protein made up of amino-acids: glycine, proline, hydroxyproline, and arginine, all of which help our body’s connective tissue, skin, hair, nails, as well as gut health stay as healthy as possible.
Why Vital Proteins Collagen?
Vital proteins collagen is sustainably-sourced meaning that their Collagen Peptides are sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine hides from Brazil. And their new Marine Collagen is sourced from wild-caught, non-GMO Red Snapper off the coast of Hawaii.
How to Use Collagen?
I love mixing collagen in with my pre-workout drink. Since it’s flavorless you can mix it into anything you want…coffee…smoothies…tea…water…hot chocolate. Or…my fav brand of sustainably-sourced collagen now has a yummy Vanilla Collagen.
Have you added collagen to your supplement routine yet? Comment below with your favorite ways to use it and/or results you have seen from using it.
Stay Healthy my Friends!
Carrie A Groff
P.S. Vital Proteins offers Free Shipping on all U.S. orders!
5 thoughts on “Collagen is the New Kale!”
I loved it. But just curious I don’t want to loss weight can I still have it? Keep up the good work.
Yes, collagen is so beneficial for bone health, joint health, and skin health. It’s not a weightloss supplement (even though it can be a healthy part of weightloss) but that’s not what it’s meant for. It’s also a great supplement to help with gut health as well. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for all the information!! Love it!!
LikeLiked by 1 person