Happy 1st day of Spring! We are getting some snow here today in PA so it really doesn’t feel like Spring. Winter is not ready to let go yet, but I know I’m so ready for Spring and Summer! I’m not a big fan of cold weather to begin with, so when Mother Nature keeps it around longer than necessary I get a little grumpy. I keep telling myself that it will be here before I know it, but I’m a bit impatient.
So while I’m waiting for the cold to go away and the warmth and sunshine to arrive I will share this yummy recipe I came up with the other night. I’m not a great cook and I always need to follow recipes when I do cook, especially when I’m trying something new. BUT every once in a great while I come up with my own recipe that needs no recipe to follow! (I pat myself on the back when it tastes good too! LOL)
So, here’s the recipe:
- Sweet Potatoes – Sliced like potato chips. I have a mandolin slicer that got them nice and thin, but you could use a knife too.
- Put the sliced sweet potatoes in a plastic bag with olive oil (or coconut oil) and salt and shake it up until all coated.
- Lay flat on baking sheet or stoneware (I love using my stoneware)
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes (until they get crispy…you might need to broil them a bit to get them crispy but watch they don’t burn) This is the tricky part…getting them crispy…Mine weren’t really crispy like I wanted.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking…brown your ground beef (I use organic lean ground beef), drain and add taco seasoning to the beef. (I used a pre-mixed organic taco seasoning packet, but if you have your own taco seasoning go right ahead and use it)
- When the sweet potatoes are done, layer them on a plate, top with your taco meat.
- This is where it gets fun: Toppings! I added organic black beans, organic corn, fresh diced tomatoes, diced avocado and Sriracha. So yummy!
You could use whatever your favorite “nacho” toppings are; sour cream, guacamole, cheese, bacon, etc…
Let me know what you think of these and what toppings you decided to use!
Carrie A Groff
– Healthy, Fit & Barefoot!
“Happiness is Barefoot on the Beach”
2 thoughts on “#FlavorfulFriday: Sweet Potato Nachos Recipe”
I’ve never even thought about adding sweet potato to my nachos. Brilliant! I’ll definitely have to try that next time 🙂
Let me know what you think when you try it!