I love little snacks that I can grab and take with me where ever I go or just have on hand to eat before a workout. Any time I know that I am going to be away from home for an extended period, I pack up my little cooler and take food and water with me. My husband laughs at me, but I feel better when I eat every 2-3 hours and I like to have healthy food on hand so I don’t eat “other” food. We live in the heart of “Pennsylvania Dutch” country which means there are not very many healthy options that you can pick up somewhere. So, I’m always prepared.
I found this yummy recipe on Popsugar.com and modified it a bit to fit my needs. These little guys are super yummy and very convenient!
- 1/2 cup organic peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/4 raw honey (could also use coconut nectar)
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (chocolate would be yummy too, but I didn’t have any on hand)
- 3 TBSP flaxseeds (I used whole, but they would be better ground – next time I will throw them in my Vitamix first)
- 3 TBSP dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels)
- 2 TBSP melted coconut oil (let cool before mixing in or it will melt your chocolate chips)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Dash of Himalayan sea salt
- Put all ingredients in bowl and mix together. (I put a little coconut oil on my hands and just mixed with my hands)
- Roll into balls (I made about 14 balls)
- Place in refrigerator for at least an hour (the longer they are in there the better)